The extension and refurbishment of this 1880’s Victorian Protected structure consist of 3 elements; the restored house, a modern extension and the landscaped courtyard and garage.
The extension, garden and garage form a set piece using the same materials internally and externally to form a variety of landscaped & social spaces for cooking, dining and reflection. The new extension is dropped 3 steps where it joins the original home, the top step wrapping around the perimeter of the extension forming windowsills, sideboard and bench for the bespoke kitchen table, fabricated in matching materials.
The modern form and detailing of the new materials – mahogany, brick and concrete – provide a counterpoint to, yet harmonise with, the original fabric and finishes.
The extension wraps around a large window box filled with a variety of ferns, both indigenous and exotic, bringing light into the new living spaces.
An air to water system, green roof landscaping and robust insulation design is balanced against careful conservation and repair of the historic fabric.
Outside, washed concrete steps and planters navigate the change in level across the site. The design is completed by elements of engineering brick, limestone and mahogany, as well as a polished concrete table. Limestone chip gravel is used as the aggregate in the washed concrete elements, gravel beds and the polished concrete external counter, giving a harmonising colour balance to the different forms and materials. The external counter is cast to take an under counter sink and an ‘Egg’ Barbecue. The external walls consist of a solid 215mm block finished with an unpainted cement render consisting of white cement, white Wexford sand and crushed granite dust.
The planting design was completed with assistance of the undisputed queen of Irish gardening Helen Dillon to whom we are extremely grateful. You can see more of her work and her amazing garden here.